We are a true ‘sweet tooth’ family. Having some kind of dessert (not fruit :)) after our meals has been a longstanding ritual in the Ayyagari household. As kids, whenever we ran out of chocolates or sweets at home, mom would whip up some delicious homemade dessert.
Last weekend, after a hearty meal, we realized that we had run out of all the sweets that we usually stock up at home. So Mom decided to prepare her very own homemade chocolate recipe. This chocolate is irresistible and her go-to quick fix. It takes no more than 20 mins to make.
It’s divine, it’s silk, it’s comfort.
Here’s the recipe:
Cadbury Hot chocolate powder – 1 cup
Cocoa powder – 1 tbsp
Sugar – 2 cups
Milk – 2 cups
Salted butter – 1 tbsp
1. Combine all the ingredients in a pan and heat it on medium to high flame.
2. Once all the ingredients melt and embrace each other, you’ll notice the mixture starts to thicken.
3. Make sure you keep mixing continuously.
4. The Test – To test when to take the mixture off the flame, take some water in a bowl and let go of a drop of this mixture in the water. If it forms a ball, take it off the flame immediately. If it disintegrates, leave it on for a couple more minutes.
5. Once it’s off the flame, keep mixing it until it starts to leave the edges.
6. Pour this mixture on a greased pan and allow it to cool.
7. Once completely cool, You can cut it into pieces and serve as you please.
P.S – Don’t forget to lick off the ‘melt in the mouth’ remains off the pan once it cools down. It’s the best part of the process. 😀
Tell me how it goes!
1. This is a very homely and comforting recipe. Don’t expect something fancy. It’s just a quick fix to satisfy your sweet cravings, but it’s soooo delicious.
2. You can jazz it up by adding nuts, sprinkles, liquor, berries, crisps, caramel, nougat or anything you please just like how you garnish or fill in regular chocolate.
3. The chocolate doesn’t get as firm and hard as regular chocolate but it’ll definitely be firm enough to take different shapes and patterns.
4. The key is to take the mixture off the flame at the right time. If you keep it for too long, the mixture will become too sticky. If you keep it for lesser time, your chocolate won’t set and will look more like a ganache.